Welcome!

Crystal Cathedral

Watch the Hour of Power online and on television (Saturday at 6PM PST on TBN, Sunday at 8AM EST/PST on Lifetime)

Powerlines

Articles from the Hour of Power's monthly publication called, Powerlines. To see the PDF version or to view older issues you can visit the Powerlines archive.



Thursday, October 22, 2009

Choose to Live the Abundant Life!

By Robert H. Schuller

One of my dear friends, the late Dione Neutra, was the adoring and supportive wife of internationally famed, Gold Medal architect, Richard Neutra, for over 40 years. (He designed our first church sanctuary, greatly influencing my view of architecture.) After Richard died, Dione surprised everyone by developing a tremendous, dynamic life on her own. The extraordinary vocal and cello music she once played to inspire her husband through creative blocks, she now shared with many. The positive way she encouraged her husband when he was down, she used to encourage others. Dione, who frequently wrote to us, sent one letter in which she said, "People are astounded at my vitality. Some people even tell me that I don't seem to get any older, but all I have to do is take one look in the mirror to know that's not true."

Why was Dione so surprised by this vitality in her life? For the many years she was married to Richard, she saw only her talented architect husband as someone who could inspire others. But I'll never forget the discovery about herself she shared next: "I may be getting old, but what I've come to realize is that... my life has always had purpose. There's always another task to be done, a need to be filled, a goal to be accomplished. And I've nearly always enjoyed whatever it is I've had to do. But even when I didn't enjoy it, I've been able to recognize that whatever was disagreeable to me was just a fact of life and through it I've learned patience and perseverance. My life has been full. And I continue to marvel at the fact that I can inspire others through my life. It's a mystery."

Dione Neutra reminds me that abundant living begins with living for a purpose. My life has purpose. So does yours! Abiding in God's abundance, reminds us why we are alive!